Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Is Life too short or is it a Lifetime?

I was and still is a man in hurry. There was hardly ever anything that stopped me. I kept moving on and on. I remember reading a short story about a famous French sculpturer who created a perfect sculpture of a life size damsel. When it was unveiled to public in a Gallery, the whole crowd went silent in appreciation followed by "oohs" and "aahs". But the sculpturer was still not happy with his creation. He was closely examining his work. He then picked up his chisel and hammer and said that the nose needs some more finishing. His tryst for perfection made him chisel the nose of the damsel.... and.... gosh... to the horror of the crowd and the media... the nose was broken. The sculpturer paid the price of his perfectionism. His work was destroyed.

Do we have to be satisfied with what we have? Is the thirst for excellence wrong to be quenched. If people are successful their stories are told for perfectionism like Steve Jobs. Do we have to sit back and say, we are happy with what we have? Why people like Modi and so many other workaholics work 18 hours a day?

I had my fair share of success. In fact, I can say, that everything that I desired, came my way. It was not easy. Not easy for my family and especially my better half. She has to bear with me all hard times and the decisions that I made. She was also the sole shoulder who gave me solace when I needed the most. I love you Preeti!! Thank you!!

Success did not come to me easily. Just like Harry Potter, I think there is a magic potion of luck. With luck, your little effort yields super results and vice versa, in its absence, you have to try 10 times to get the same results. I kept on trying. From 1990 to 2013, I got every job that I wanted. I was in Germany, Switzerland, US and other countries on work permit but I always wanted to come back to India. I worked in Pune and in Bangalore. I started my business and had my own consultants working in Germany. We developed two products. I got into leadership roles very early in my career but I moved on relentlessly. Nothing could stop me.

When I kept moving in and out of Delhi, my home, every time, I came back, I saw the same chowkidars, presswalas, newspaperwalas, milkman and so many others who for years after years kept on doing what they were doing... and they seem to be happy. Probably they slept better then me. On the other hand, my life is still a mission. I am happy with what I achieved in my career. I am happy with how my business is doing (although it is a never ending strive for me and my team) but I already have my goals for what I will be doing after couple of years. The last part of my life, it has to be creativity, spirituality and philosophy.

We all get the same lifespan. I do watch TV, I do have fun, I do focus on my health and give quality time to my family. How ever, as my mother told me as a child, I hope to be like a lamp and do my bit for reason of my very own existence.  It is not just happiness which matters but it is also the purpose. We can live many lives in one life.


No comments:

Post a Comment